EPIC Summer Institute on Course Design
EPIC is pleased to announce a new professional development opportunity for faculty in the Humanities and the Departments of History and Musicology: the EPIC Summer Institute on Course Development (ESI). Participants in the ESI will incorporate evidence-based teaching practices into their course design to prepare for the upcoming academic year with help and feedback from a community of practitioners and experts in both pedagogy and humanities content. Participants will develop course materials including learning objectives, assessments, syllabus, and Bruin Learn course site which center inclusion, accessibility, and equity throughout the design process.
Who is eligible to participate?
Instructors (faculty and lecturers) from the Humanities and the Departments of History and Musicology are welcome to apply. Faculty and lecturers who joined UCLA within the last three years are especially encouraged to apply. We also welcome applications from incoming Humanities faculty who will be joining UCLA in the fall 2022 quarter.
Space is limited to 30 people to ensure each ESI participant receives ample one-on-one and small group support.
When & Where
The EPIC Summer Institute 2022 will take place September 6 – 9th (Tuesday through Friday after Labor Day).
UPDATE: The EPIC Summer Institute on Course Design will now be conducted remotely via Zoom.
Faculty interested in facilitating the ESI can apply here.
What Will I Learn?
The ESI will cover:
- The Backward Design framework
- Making assessments more equitable
- Inclusive syllabus design
- Active learning strategies
- Giving and soliciting constructive feedback
- Bruin Learn (Canvas) support
- And more!
What Will I Do?
- Practice aligning learning outcomes with course activities and assessments
- Develop/revise an assessment with equity and flexibility in mind
- Redesign portions of your syllabus to reflect more inclusive, student-centered language
- Consider active learning techniques to enhance student engagement and understanding
- Explore tools for providing meaningful feedback and opportunities for soliciting feedback on your teaching
- Practice accessible use of Bruin Learn
What is Required?
- Daily attendance and participation
- Completion of short daily assignments for feedback
- Participation in assessment of the Summer Institute (including pre/post surveys and follow-up surveys) during the SI and in the academic year that follows
What Will I Gain?
- A head start on course design for the upcoming year
- Resources and teaching materials
- A learning community of instructors across the Humanities dedicated to inclusive and equitable teaching
EPIC Summer Institute Schedule: September 6-9, 2022
|9-10||Welcome Breakfast and ESI Overview|
|3:30-4:30||Meet facilitators and small group cohort|
|9-10:00||Small group work/feedback on backward design assignments|
|9-10:00||Small group work/feedback on equitable assessments & active learning assignments|
|1:30-3:30||Planning for Feedback|
|Friday, 9/9: Planning for Feedback and Bruin Learn|
|9-10:00||Small group work/feedback on inclusive syllabi & active learning assignments|
|10-12:30||Planning for Feedback|
|2-4:00||Build Your Bruin Learn site|
Contact us at email@example.com.