Call for Graduate Student Researchers (2022-2023)
The Excellence in Pedagogy and Innovative Classrooms (EPIC) Program is dedicated to establishing new paradigms for teaching pedagogy and study in the Humanities for both faculty and graduate students at UCLA.
We are now accepting applications for the EPIC Program Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) position, offering an opportunity for a graduate student from the Humanities Division or the History, Education, or Musicology Departments to work on inclusive and innovative teaching and learning programming in the humanities. This GSR-ship will begin July 1, 2022 and extend through the 2022-2023 academic year. Please only apply for the position if you are able to commit through the 2022-2023 AY.
- For the 2022 summer sessions: 25% GSR appointment
- For the 2022-2023 academic year: 50% GSR appointment with fee remissions
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
- Please apply only if you are available to commit to a 50% GSR appointment through the 2022-2023 academic year with EPIC.
- Appointment begins July 1, 2022 and will be remote for the summer sessions except between September 6 to 9 where in-person attendance is required.
- GSR may also work remotely during the 2022-2023 AY but must be available for in-person events as needed.
Under the supervision of the EPIC Program Coordinator in coordination with the EPIC Program Director, the GSR will:
- Research approaches to teaching relevant to the humanities
- Research initiatives on inclusive TA training in higher education institutions and present findings to EPIC Leadership
- Spearhead outreach initiatives, including:
- Website management
- Creating content for the EPIC newsletter
- Assist in organizing major EPIC events when needed
- Write and prepare project-related documents, including but not limited to proposals, calls for submissions, publicity materials, manuals, etc.
- Support EPIC Program Director, EPIC Program Coordinator and EPIC Instructional Designer in daily activities
- Full-time (at least 12 credits) UCLA graduate student in 2022-2023 with good academic standing
- Must be from a Humanities Division department, or History, Education, or Musicology Department
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above throughout the duration of the appointment
- Commit to 20 hours of work per week and have had prior TA experience at UCLA
- Commitment to advancing equity, inclusivity, and diversity especially in teaching pedagogy
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Advanced organizational skills to keep track of multiple projects at different stages of completion, including:
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet deadlines and priorities
- Ability to organize and present information effectively and concisely
- Ability to set and maintain a reliable work schedule
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work as a part of a team supporting the EPIC Program Director, Program Coordinator, and Instructional Designer and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, staff, administrators, students, and other stakeholders
- Experience in event planning a plus
- Experience in Google G Suite
- Experience in website management, especially WordPress (preferred)
The following materials are required when submitting your application:
- Cover Letter (1-2 pages) that outlines how you would leverage your training as a graduate student in support of advancing humanities pedagogy. Please include a statement on your commitment to and/or experience with teaching, especially as it relates to inclusivity and diversity
- Most recent unofficial UCLA Transcript
- Letter of recommendation sent directly to EPIC which speaks to your experiences relevant to the EPIC GSR position
SUBMISSION DETAILS AND DEADLINE
Application materials must be received by 5 pm PDT on Friday, May 27, 2022. All application documents (cover letter, CV, transcript) must be submitted via the online form on the EPIC website.
Letter of recommendation must be received by 11:59 pm PDT on Tuesday, May 31, 2022. Please instruct the recommender to send letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with your last name and “EPIC Program GSR Application” on the subject line.
Questions? Please contact the EPIC Program Coordinator, Tegan Artho-Bentz at email@example.com.