EPIC-Lang GSR Application – CLOSED
The Excellence in Pedagogy and Innovative Classrooms (EPIC) Program is dedicated to establishing new paradigms for teaching pedagogy and study in the Humanities for both faculty and graduate students at UCLA.
We are now accepting applications for the EPIC-Lang Graduate Student Research (GSR) position for the Fall 2021 quarter with the possibility of an extension for the Winter and Spring 2022 quarters. This GSR-ship will help launch programs on language instruction under the EPIC-Lang initiative and is open to graduate student applicants from the Humanities Division or the History, Education, or Musicology Departments.
This position provides a Graduate Student Researcher appointment at 50% with fee remissions during Fall 2021 with a possibility for renewal for Winter and Spring 2022 quarters.
- Under the supervision of the EPIC Program Coordinator in coordination with the EPIC Program Director and EPIC Program Faculty Co-Director, the GSR will:
- Research current approaches to second language teaching
- Research current approaches to acquisition and teaching of orthographies and typographies
- Research approaches on technology and language teaching
- Spearhead archiving initiatives, including:
- Repository site management of language teaching materials
- Tracking down and documenting resources on innovative language teaching
- Assist in maintaining the Language Materials project website:
- Write and prepare project-related documents, including but not limited to proposals, calls for submissions, publicity materials, manuals, etc.
- Full-time (at least 12 credits) UCLA graduate student in 2021-2022 with good academic standing
- Must be from a Humanities Division department, or History, Education, or Musicology Department
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above throughout the duration of the appointment
- Commit to 20 hours of work per week and have had prior TA experience at UCLA
- Commitment to advancing equity, inclusivity, and diversity especially in teaching pedagogy
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Advanced organizational skills to keep track of multiple projects at different stages of completion, including:
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet deadlines and priorities
- Ability to organize and present information effectively and concisely
- Ability to set and maintain a reliable work schedule
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work as part of a team
- Experience in Google G Suite
- Experience in website management, especially making and maintaining data entries
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Background in languages teaching, linguistics, applied linguistics, multilingual abilities, non-Roman orthography
The following materials are required when submitting your application via the following form:
- Cover Letter (1-2 pages) that outlines how you would leverage your training as a PhD student in support of advancing language humanities pedagogy. Please include a statement on your commitment to and/or experience with teaching, especially as it relates to inclusivity and diversity in second language acquisition and teaching.
- Most recent unofficial UCLA Transcript
- Letter of recommendation sent directly to EPIC which speaks to your experiences relevant to the EPIC-Lang GSR position
Submission Details and Deadline – EXTENDED DEADLINE
Application materials must be submitted by 11:59 PM PDT on Wednesday, July 28, 2021.
All application documents (cover letter, CV, transcript) must be submitted via the online form on this webpage.
Letter of recommendation must be submitted by 11:59 PM PDT on Friday, July 30, 2021.
Please instruct recommender to send letters directly to email@example.com with your last name and “EPIC-Lang GSR Application” on the subject line.
This application is now closed.