EPIC Program GSR Application – CLOSED
The Excellence in Pedagogy and Innovative Classrooms (EPIC) Program is dedicated to establishing new paradigms for teaching pedagogy and study in the Humanities for both faculty and graduate students at UCLA.
We are now accepting applications for the EPIC Program Graduate Student Research (GSR) position for the Fall 2021 quarter with the possibility of an extension for the Winter and Spring 2022 quarters. This position offers an opportunity for a graduate student from the Humanities Division or the History, Education, or Musicology Departments to work on inclusive and innovative teaching and learning programming in the humanities.
This position provides a Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) appointment at 50% with fee remissions during Fall 2021 with a possibility for renewal for Winter and Spring 2022 quarters.
Under the supervision of the EPIC Program Coordinator in coordination with the EPIC Program Director, the GSR will:
- Research approaches to teaching relevant to the humanities
- Research initiatives on inclusive TA training in higher education institutions and present findings to EPIC Leadership
- Spearhead outreach initiatives, including:
- Website management
- Creating content for the EPIC newsletter
- Assist in organizing major EPIC events when needed
- Write and prepare project-related documents, including but not limited to proposals, calls for submissions, publicity materials, manuals, etc.
- Support EPIC Program Director, EPIC Program Coordinator, and EPIC Instructional Designer in daily activities
- Full-time (at least 12 credits) UCLA graduate student in 2021-2022 with good academic standing
- Must be from a Humanities Division department, or History, Education, or Musicology Department
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above throughout the duration of the appointment
- Commit to 20 hours of work per week and have had prior TA experience at UCLA
- Commitment to advancing equity, inclusivity, and diversity especially in teaching pedagogy
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Advanced organizational skills to keep track of multiple projects at different stages of completion, including:
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet deadlines and priorities
- Ability to organize and present information effectively and concisely
- Ability to set and maintain a reliable work schedule
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work as part of a team supporting the EPIC Program Director, Program Coordinator, and Instructional Designer and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, staff, administrators, students, and other stakeholders
- Experience in event planning a plus
- Experience in Google G Suite
- Experience in website management, especially WordPress
The following materials are required when submitting your application via the following form:
- Cover Letter (1-2 pages) that outlines how you would leverage your training as a PhD student in support of advancing humanities pedagogy. Please include a statement on your commitment to and/or experience with teaching, especially as it relates to inclusivity and diversity.
- Most recent unofficial UCLA Transcript
- Letter of recommendation sent directly to EPIC which speaks to your experiences relevant to the EPIC GSR position
Submission Details and Deadline – EXTENDED DEADLINE
Application materials must be submitted by 11:59 PM PDT on Wednesday, July 28, 2021.
All application documents (cover letter, CV, transcript) must be submitted via the online form on this webpage.
Letter of recommendation must be submitted by 11:59 PM PDT on Friday, July 30, 2021.
Please instruct recommender to send letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with your last name and “EPIC Program GSR Application” on the subject line.
This application is now closed.